Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Nicki Minaj's "The Boys feat. Cassie" - Single Review


     Well here it is ladies and gentlemen, the new, mediocre, R&B/rap effort from Nicki Minaj. "The Boys", which was just released a few hours ago, is set to be the lead single off the re-release of Minaj's last studio effort, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, who's sales have stalled around the 600,000 copies mark. Far below expectations and lower than sales of her debut which have passed 2 million. Maybe this is the reason Minaj and her record label quickly agreed on this ridiculous re-release. To be honest, if it is not on the level of Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster, no re-releases should be allowed, especially when they are to accompany a project that was lackluster and disappointing in the first place.

     Back to the single now. "The Boys", which features the talent of the beautiful Cassie, showcases Minaj's raw rap skills, skills that got her noticed in the first place. I am happy the rapper is moving away from the generic pop sound that weighed down the second half of her recent album, but this new track is just a mess. I could not find one thing I enjoyed about it. I do not know why Minaj would release a brand new single from a brand new project... I have a feeling she will make her official announcement of being a American Idol judge very soon.

     Nicki and Cassie sing about what the boys really spend their money on: love, of course. I wonder how many women will disagree with that statement. Do not get me wrong, I was a big Nicki fan when Pink Friday was new and fresh, it was the promising start to a unique artist and a guaranteed successful career. I still play tracks such as "Roman's Revenge", "Fly" and "Moment 4 Life". However, all my faith in the artist has completely vanished. I really only liked five songs off her last effort, only one has been serviced as an official single. So the decision to keep promoting a fast-sinking album shocks me. Minaj should just vanish for a bit, work hard on her next effort, and come back as the rap queen I know she could be. Leave the pop trash to Rihanna and Katy Perry.

     Do I like the song? Apparently not. Minaj's rap verses sound rushed and unimaginative. The progression is a little off, as if something is missing. Cassie's soft vocals do the best they can, but even her contribution is below average. Her part is the greatest aspect of the new single, but she can't save this disaster no matter how hard she tries. If this is the first offering from Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up, long ass title I know, then I am afraid to hear the rest of the effort when it is unleashed once again in November. Nicki, release "Marilyn Monroe" and bring back your credibility.

D
     

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar