Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

DVD Afternoon Podcast #88: Dee Minus

Here's how bogged down I got over the holidays: Heather Noel and I recorded this episode of the podcast nearly a month ago, and it's taken me this long to actually throw up a blog post about it. Truth be told, most of the details of our discussion have long since melted away from the surface of my brain, much like the snow outside my parents' house in Ancaster, Ontario, where I spent a very cozy Christmas vacation. I know that Heather and I were both very enthusiastic about Project Nim, that neither of us was able to enjoy Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame quite as much as we wanted to, and that I hogged the opening segment with my mini-reviews of a couple of arty best-of-the-year-list contenders, The Arbor and The Mill and the Cross. Beyond that, well, it'll be as new to you as it is to me.

Here's how the show breaks down:

0:00 — Intro/The Arbor/The Mill And The Cross/Oscar season disappointment and bafflement
16:22 — The Arbors, "I Can't Quit Her (For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her)"
17:29 — Project Nim
33:56 — The Feelies, "Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except Me And My Monkey)"
34:59 — Detective Dee And The Mystery Of The Phantom Flame
46:55 — Fred Bongusto, "Un Detective"
47:57 — Other noteworthy new DVDs and Blu-Rays/Outro

Here's the trailer for The Arbor, which, sadly, doesn't give you much sense of its unusual "lip-syncumentary" style:



And here's the trailer for The Mill and the Cross, which does give you a sense of its unusual and arresting 2D-meets-3D visual approach:




You can subscribe to DVD Afternoon through iTunes, or you can download this week's episode directly by clicking here.

And if you'd like to comment on the show, respond to our reviews, or suggest other movies for Heather and me to talk about on the air, you can reach us at dvdafternoon [at] gmail [dot] com. Big news: the podcast will be undergoing a period of reinvention in the coming month, but we should have a new episode ready for you—possibly under a new name, with a new format—within the next couple of weeks. We'll keep you posted about any changes so that you can navigate the switchover without missing an episode.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar