In 1973 (according to the back of this photo), which was during the early days of Laura Ashley, it was the fashion to go to parties dressed in sort of milkmaid garb. So I made this dress. It was long and made of Viyella. Here I am, gazing lovingly at my fiancé.
Time passed and the dress wasn't worn much any more. We didn't go to so many parties once we were parents; and fashion had moved on. So I asked my mother-in-law, who was a whizz with her needle, if she could make one of our daughters a dress out of the material. She bought some white Viyella to eke it out and made dresses for both daughters. And here they are: Christmas 1982.
At the time of the above photo, Daughter 2 was one and a half, in fact nearly one and seven months.
I don't know what happened to Daughter 1's dress but I kept Daughter 2's in my materials basket. Not really sure why. Here it is on Granddaughter. She only just fits it, at seven months. On the right, her auntie, a whole year older.
Truly she is a Giant Baby. But very cute!
(No, no, the Scots' reputation for ... err... thrift is totally unjustified.)






0 Yorumlar